Is sounds to me like you have Dry Eye Syndrome. It is known to cause intermintent visual distortion, sometime blurring, eye discomfort, burning, itching and occasionally tearing. It often goes undiagnosed by specialist because is seems so benign. However I beg to differ, it is the most common eye syndrome on the planet. It's just not diagnosed. It can be diagnosed by an eye doctor by doing the following test:
1. TBUT (tear break up time with flourscein)
2. Shirmers Test
3. Dye disappearance test
4. Lid apposition evaluation
5. Punctal position on the lid
Dry eye syndrome can be associated with:
1. thyroid dysfunction
3. meibomian gland dysfunction
5. previous lasik surgery or other corneal surgery
Treatment is step-wise:
First Start with this:
1. start with warm compresses twice a day for a week then as needed there after
2. go to walgreens, CVS or other drug store and get one of the following:
3. when you shower wash the lashes with Johnson and Johnson Baby shampoo.
If that doesn't help then go back to your eye doctor and they can evaluate to see if you are a candidate for a medication called: Restasis.
There are other treatments such as punctal plugs. But this is typically not first line.
Also I'd recommend finding a local eye doctor who can evaluate your eyes again and test you for Dry Eye Syndrome. They will likely start you on what I've described above. In addition they can evaluate if deemed necessary for hypothyroidism, diabetes, or other systemic causes of this syndrome.
It's been a pleasure chatting with you. If there anything else I can assist you with today.