Dr. JP
Dr. JP, Ophthalmology, Oculoplastic Surgery
Experience:  Harvard Medical School, Massachussetts Eye and Ear
24395033

Pain around my eye

I am having pain around my eye, feels like I was hit near my eye. It is painful, had trouble sleeping last night, needed to take some pain med to sleep. Nothing looks wrong, no redness or swelling. I have been sick the past week, still a little congested but I have been able to get a lot of mucus up and out. The type of pain I'm having feels like I am bruised, is painful to the touch and is near the inside of my left eye, also goes partly across the bridge of my nose. If I am not touching it, it is still painful, feels like pressure in my eye socket. Nothing is wrong or different with my vision.

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 5 years ago.

Hi I'm here to help. Sorry for the lack of sleep. Tell me is there any redness in and around the painful area-around the nasal part of the eyelid and the skin of the nose near the eyelids?

Have you noticed that you've been tearing a bit more than usual out of that eye?

Dr. JP

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a little more tearing, but very slightly more. No redness or anything.
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 5 years ago.

The pain is located just near the nose next to the eye?

Expert:  Dr. JP replied 5 years ago.

Do you have a history of sinusitis?

If you tap your cheek bone with your finger tip, is it painful?

If you tap the bone medial to the brow, is it painful?

To tap use two fingers and tap the area with the tips. Tap like you would a drum.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is more under my eyebrow, around the eye bone, concentrated at the inside corner
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 5 years ago.

History of sinusitis and/or allergic rhinitis?

Are you using any eye drops medications?

Is this the first time this has happened?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have any history of sinusitis and/or allergic rhinitis. I'm not using any eye drops and this is the first time this has happened.
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your answers. It is my opinion that you have an acute sinusitis. This is very common after combating a viral or bacterial infection of the upper airways. The sinuses are mucousal outpoucing located above, below and next to the eye and nose. The inflamation in the medial sinuses called ethmoid sinusitis causes referred eye pain, bone pain around the medial and upper aspects of the orbital bone. I recommend you see your primary care physician to get an evaluation. They will look inside the nose and will likely get a x-ray of the sinuses or a CT scan to make the diagnsis for you. The treament is oral antibiotics. If the infection/inflamation persist without treatment it can spread into the orbit (space around the eyeball and withing the orbit that houses the eye) and cause an orbital cellulitis. Also if redness starts to define itself near the nose where you have tenderness this could represent a dacryocystitis (which is an infection in the nasolacrimal sac). A picture below will help you see where this is.

Expert:  Dr. JP replied 5 years ago.

In the mean time you can try warm compresses, tylenol/motrin (if not allergic) and afrin nasal spray to help alleviate some of the pressure until you can get to your primary care physician to get an evaluation and treatment.

Regards,

Dr. JP

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So this type of sinus infection makes you feel like your bones are bruised? Is there actual pus or something back there or is that from the inflammation? What would show on an x-ray?
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 5 years ago.

Yes the bone would be tender like a bruise.

The sisuses have fluid and mucous build up due to the inflammation blocking the natural drainage. Each of the sinuses drain individually. In your case it seems like the ethmoid is inflammed and causing your symptoms. In this CT scan you'll see the area with a P. This is the ethmoid sinus that is blocked.

Wishing you the best.

Regards,

Dr. JP.

It's been a pleasure chatting with you. Is there any more questions about this I can help you with?

Experience: Harvard Medical School, Massachussetts Eye and Ear