Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I get a momentary bright white light in my right eye followed

I get a momentary bright white light in my right eye followed by a second of blackness and then back to normal - happening a couple of times a day.
What might be happening?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Your transient loss of vision is suggestive of a brief loss of blood flow to the eye. This can be caused by plaque buildup in your neck arteries. I recommend you see your primary care doctor and ophthalmologist for evaluation. They may want to order an ultasound of your neck arteries to check for the plaque buildup.

Alternatively, flashes of lights can be due to stimulation of the retina by the thick gel inside your eyes. If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

I don't believe your dental problems is related to your current problems.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Edited by Dr. James on 11/1/2009 at 4:55 PM EST