Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Eyes I see a circular pattern of dots, about the circumference

Customer Question

Eyes: I see a circular pattern of dots, about the circumference of a pencil, in front of my left eye. I see it when I close my eye, or when I look at a pale surface with my eye open. I've been aware of it for about a week, but can't be sure when it started. Should I go to my GP or to an optician? My eyes have been tested a month ago - I wasn't aware of it then - and I have new glasses.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Hello;

Welcome to Just Answer. My name isXXXXX and I will be assisting with your question. I have few questions.

How is your vision?

Do you feel any pain?

Does the pattern change with blinking?

Does the pattern change or move with change in head position?

Have you had eye any surgery before? Any past eye problem?

Are you diabetic? Any Cataract? Hypertension?

Problem with dry eyes?

After I get your reply, I will evaluate and give you information to help later. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

My vision is OK with glasses

No pain

No, the pattern always seems to be the same and in the same place - ie directly in front. Sometimes not all the dots are visible, or there are a few extra dots, but basically it's the same

It doesn't vary with head position

No surgery. An ball injury to this same eye, but 45 years ago.

Not diabetic. No cataract. Borderline hypertension (around 135/.87)

No dry eyes

Thanks for your help. It most resembles the after-image of staring at a bright light - but this normally fades after a few minutes or hours. I'm afraid that I may have damaged my retina - or that I have early-stage macular degeneration. I'm only conerned whether it's something for which I should seek urgent treatment.

Marina

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

My vision is OK with glasses

No pain

It doesn't vary with head position

No dry eyes

I sent this reply before via your answer page

Marina

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. It appears that you may have early natural lens changes (early cataract) which does not significantly affect your vision, but causing localized change in your focusing. You also could changes in the gel inside your eyeball called the vitreous. The vitreous is a clear gel inside your eyeball that is attached to the surface of the back of your eye (retina). Sometimes, especially with age and with history of old injury, the gel develop pocket(s) of liquefaction within itself causing visual spots, circular patterns and in severe cases floaters and/flashes.

As mentioned already, early lens opacification (early cataract) can cause discrete areas of changes that affects light movement through the lens, manifesting as spots, and patterns of visual changes. It does not appear that you are an immediate danger. However, given your history of old injury in that eye, and age, it would to important to called your eye doctor as soon as you can this week, and get a quick eye exam to re-assure you, and exclude possible retina problem or any other problem unforeseen at this time.

Thank you so much for allowing me to assist you. Please, remember to press the ACCEPT button.

It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. I will be happy to assist you in the future. I would also appreciate POSITIVE feedback & BONUS if possible. Please note that answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, that's very helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much. In the meantime before you see your doctor, start use peservative-free tear drops, like OTC Refresh plus or Genteal drops. I know that you mentioned that you do not have dry eyes.

Sometimes, especially in mild cases, people may not be quite aware it. However, keeping your cornes well moist will reduced the effect of any pattern distortion on the field of your vision. But, make ensure you get your doctor to evaluate. God bless.

Please note that answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Edited by Dr. Stan on 11/1/2009 at 7:14 PM EST