Dr. JP
Dr. JP, Ophthalmology, Oculoplastic Surgery
Experience:  Harvard Medical School, Massachussetts Eye and Ear

I have blurred vision severe headaches, can not stand the light

I have blurred vision severe headaches, can not stand the light and my eyes are bloodshot I have been to eye clinic and glaucoma has been ruled out
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.

Hi I'm Dr. JP. I'm here to try and help you. However it will be very difficult without having performed an eye examination. If you happen to have your previous eye doctors note that would be helpful. Here are some questions.

1. how long have you had this headache (1wk, 1mo etc)?

2. are there period without headache pain?

3. how long do the headaches last?

4. does the headache improve when you go to sleep at night?

5. where is the headache located (left temple, forehead, back of head, right temple etc)

6. what makes the headache worse? (ie loud noise, foods, smells)

7. anything help make the headache better?

8. any symptoms when you have the headache or when the headache starts (ie weird smells, visual symptoms,)

i'm sending a few more question

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
  1. I have had symptoms approx 1 month got worse since eye test
  2. Yes I have periods without headache
  3. About 30 minutes to an hour
  4. Yes it improves when I sleep
  5. Left temple
  6. Light makes headache worse
  7. Take nurofen and sitting in dark room
  8. No blurred vision afterwards

Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.

Can you give me more background on your eyes?

Eye medications?

Eye surgery?

Glasses, Contacts?

Over the counter eye drops, ointments?

Medical history? (diabetes, arthritis)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Only chloramphenicol eye drops since Friday
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.

Another question about the headache? What does it feel like? Pulsatile, vice like pressure, chronic ache, stabbing ice pick, throbbing? Basically try to do your best to use descriptor to define the headache character?

Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.
The bloodshot eyes. Did they get worse since you've started using chloramphenicol? Also why did he prescribe this medication to you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It feels like someone is stabbing something into my head in my left temple
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.

Is there any discharge from the eyes? watery discharge (tearing constantly), yellow discharge? green discharge?

Did the redness start in one eye initially then go on to involve the other eye?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Slight Watery discharge in left eye

Redness started in left eye then went to both eyes

Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.

Is sounds like you had a viral conjuctivitis that was treated with chloramphenicol. What I believe you are dealing with now is a fairly common corneal reaction called "subepithelial infiltrative keratitis". This occurs in the later stages of viral conjunctivitis. It is an immune reaction to the viral antigens and causes blurry vision, pain with light and headache. It can be treated if causing severe visual symptoms by using a mild steroid and a topical NSAID. The use of steroid is contraversial as it can prolong the resolution. However is used with proper ophthalmic followup can be most useful in alleviating your symptoms. I recommend going back to your eye doctor so he can take a closer look at your corneas to make the diagnosis and begin treatment. He/She will likely stop the chloramphenicol and start you on predforte drops 4x daily or lotemax 4x daily. They will also likely start xibrom, acular or other NSAID and natural tears. Also recommend cool compresses. This really needs to be evaluated and is could cause visual problems is not monitored by a professional.

Dr. JP

Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.

I can recommend an ophthalmologist for you if you'd like?

If so, let me know the city and I'll find one for you?

Dr. John

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou I will go back to my eye doctor
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.

Okay. It's been a pleasure chatting with you. Can I help you further?

In the mean time, try getting some natural tears from the local drugstore and place them in the refrigerator. Using cool tears can help with the pain. Also try using cool compresses on the eyes, this also helps alleviate some discomfort. You can do this until you are able to see your eye doctor on monday morning. I'm really glad you are going back to see your eye doctor, continuity of care is your best friend. This doctor knows you and knows the history of your situation. This will serve you well. Wishing you all the best.

Dr. JP

Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.

Please click the accept button so I can leave positive feedback about you on the Just Answer website. It truly has been a pleasure working with you this morning. Have a great day, it is my sincere hope that I was able to help you with your question.

Dr. JP

Experience: Harvard Medical School, Massachussetts Eye and Ear