Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

My Ophthalmologist said that the vitreous sac around my left

My Ophthalmologist said that the vitreous sac around my left eye tore away
from where it was connected. He also said that I was too young (53) for this to be happening. This happened a week ago. For the first time in my life I had a flu shot 2 wks ago. Would that have anything to do with this?
I'm still feeling pressure and numbness under at to the left of this eye. At times this eye feels very cold like there is ice on it. Night lights will cause the lightning streaks to come back. Will these symptoms gradually go away? Would eye drops help? It's driving me crazy!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

You are probably referring to a posterior vitreous detachment. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. As it shrinks, it may cause traction on the retina which may lead to flashes of light and floaters in the eye. Usually, it goes uneventful, but sometimes it amy cause a retinal tear which can lead to retinal detachment and serious loss of vision. So, a person with these symptoms must get a dilated fundus examination to rule out any retinal tearwhich you have already done and so you can relax. 53 years of age is not all too young for posterior vitreous detachment. It can occur at a much younger age. Your flu shot is not likely to have anything with this. At least no such association is known. These symptoms will get better with time as you get used to it. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will eye drops ease the cold feeling in the eye? What will help with the heavy feeling on my upper left cheek and under the eye?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

Numbness and pressue is not related to it. Get a refraction done. Pressure could be related to it. You can use a lubricating eye drop like Refresh Tears 3 times a day. For numness you need to ask your doctor. An examination is necessary to find that out. Thanks.

Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED