Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

my IOP is normal, i dont have glaucoma, my problem is a have

my IOP is normal, i dont have glaucoma, my problem is a have a pinguecula in both eyes, my eyes are always red, but when i use timolol (eye drops) the red of my eyes disapear during the day.

my question is:

if i dont have any condition to required to use timolol, only for relief my red eyes, and i dont have any health contraindication for timolol, can i use timolol every day without any risk?
Hello there
why was timolol even given to you?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes, because i have a eye surgery 5 months ago, they remove a pinguecula in my eye, and my doctor give me COMBIGAN (brimonidine tartrate 0.2% timolol maleate 0.5%).

But now i buy TIMOPTOL-XE (timolol maleate 0.25%), and i want to know if i can used, because my IOP is good, i want to know if this drop can affect my IOP later if i stop to taken the drops.

Hello there
this would be considered safe however, at some point, it may actually stop lowering the pressure. I have not heard of it causing an elevation when being stopped, it is not something I have experienced. My concern is that it will start to cause irritation and grittiness as it does with many of my patients. I would actually suggest using something like Refresh Celluvisc lubricant drops to see if it helps your eyes more than the timolol in relieving your symptoms. It really should, I wish you well Dr Stevens