Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

I attended the eye clinic today, my doctor told me the pressure

I attended the eye clinic today, my doctor told me the pressure in both my eyes was 27, he then said I would need to come back in 6 weeks time to have a hole cut by lazer to allow the fluid to drain away into the blood stream.
How serious is this, should it be done sooner than 6 weeks and is it painful?
Hello there
answer is you have glaucoma already? have you had cataract surgery ever? does one eye ever get very red with an intense pressure sensation ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No I do not have glaucoma, No I have never had cataract surgery, no I have never noticed my eyes getting very red with an intense pressure sensation.

I do have type 2 Diabetes controlled with tablets. last clinic blood sugar after fasting 6.2. my Docter said it is being well controlled,

I have had Lazer treatment for Diabetic eye problems, to tidy up the veins at the back of my eyes, and the Doctor gave me an injection for the pain.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I must go to bed now as i am tired, Will continue tomorrow, Good night John
Hello there
based on your answers, it is safe to wait the period before laser is done. It is safe to watch the pressure during this time without treatment. The laser is a straightforward in office procedure and does have mild pain, probably less then the diabetic laser treatment (or similar). It is fairly safe, with catarct formation, bleeding and inflammation being the main risks happening at less than 1% each. I hope this answers it for you, sorry for the late reply, Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dear Doctor,

Thankyou for your reply.

Will they be able to do both eyes on the same day?

When I had lazer treatment befor I had about 3,500 shots, with an injection to numb the eye, roughly how many shots to make the hole for drainage?

Yours sincerely

both can be done on the same day but typically we do one eye at a time at different sittings. The reason for this is that the laser can blurr the vision for a few days so we like to doone eye at a time. Typically about 5-25 shots are needed per eye, Regards XXXXX XXXXX