Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist

laser eye pressure..extremely concerned

6 weeks ago my 24 year old daughter had laser eye surgery with good results, vision wise. At an appointment yesterday she was told she had developed medium to high eye pressure further drops were given and to be seen again in a week. As she is in the final stages of entry into the Police Force she is extremely concerned that this complication will hinder this, and has been given no indication of how long it may take to regain normal eye pressure. Can you provide some answers. Thank you. Heather
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 6 years ago.
Hello there Heather
do you know when after the laser she first had an issue? was there an indication of why they think she has eye pressure? is it one or both eyes?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Her check up 2 weeks ago (4 weeks post procedure) was fine, yesteday on further check up / testing both eyes registered being medium to high, given Timoptol drops twice a day. In essence problem has developed sometime in the past 2 weeks. Thanks
Hello there
elevated eye pressure following refractive laser surgery is very very rare except for some rare instances where the post operative eye drops cause a pressure elevation. In those instances (almost all cases), tapering and stopping the postoperative anti-inflammatory medicines results in a lowering of eye pressure. This is what I would expect she was asked to do. And in several weeks, her pressure will probably remain low without the use of the timolol eye drops. That is my experience and hope it holds true for her, it should. Reassure her and make sure she keeps her appointments, she should be fine in a few weeks, I wish her well, Dr. Stevens