Dr. JP
Dr. JP, Ophthalmology, Oculoplastic Surgery
Experience:  Harvard Medical School, Massachussetts Eye and Ear

My name is Joe I have a nystagmus I have had this condition

My name isXXXXX have a nystagmus I have had this condition all of my life. In the past few years I have begun to notice changes in my left eye and jaw allignment. My left side of my face being the problem. My eye, I can feel it moving and it hurts sometimes. I have never experienced that before but within the past few months. My jaw has pulled over to the leftside of my face as well causing my Jaw to be way out of allignment I feel this is related I dont know, but it hurts as well. when I was 14 I had a surgery for this condition with the muscles in my eyes I use to tilt to the left side. I feel like my face is pulling back but my surgery want allow it. Thus pulling my eye and my jaw there instead. It gets worse every week. I am afraid I could lose my eye. It has been doing this forever after the surgery A few years I had a twitch in my head like it was fighting to go back the other way. now that twitch is gone but I have this problem now. I am 33
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.

Hi Joe,

Will try to help. Could you answer some information?

1. vision in the right eye?

2. vision in the left eye?

3. nystagmus since birth?

4. the surgery you had, was is on the eye musles?

5. any other eye surgery beside eye muscle surgery, if applicable?

6. any neurological problems like cancer, tumor, stroke, multiple sclerosis?

regards

dr. john

Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.

Another question you may or may not know? But will help me some.

Do you happen to know if you are color blind?

If you've been tested, was it relatively normal?

Regards,

Dr. JP

Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.

Hi Joe,

Are you there?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1. Vision in right eye good - about 20/40
2 Vision in Left eye - worse than right eye only by a little.
3.Yes
4. Yes
5. No other eye surgery
6. Not that I am aware of
To continue from original post - after the surgery my jaw was pulling more toward the right, and my head twitched. Over the years, my head has been twitching but now not as much. Present - my head does not twitch as much but i can feel my left eye twitching and my jaw is pulled to the left causing severe TMJD in my left TMJ and my right TMJ side has loosened. Also, my left ear has trouble equilizing. My left side of my face has pain and is crooked. Could all this be related to the surgery or is it something else? Please Help. Joe
Expert:  Dr. JP replied 4 years ago.

Hi Joe,

It seems to me that you have congenital nystagmus. Most patients with this have fairly good vision despite the eye movement. There is a position called the "null postition" that the eye prefer to be in to minimize the eye movement. You may be regressing with a new null position, thus causing you to rotate your head position to minimize the eye movement. This is usually done unconsciousely. As for the TMJ and the left ear trouble, this is unusal presentation for what I've described above. It's possible that these are two separte things and the jaw symptoms and the equilizing issue maybe due to compensatory reasons. I'd recommmend an ophthalmology evaluation. I don't feel you are going to lose your eye. I think a good eye exam will rest all your fears.

Regards

Dr. JP

Experience: Harvard Medical School, Massachussetts Eye and Ear