Dr Dansingani
Dr Dansingani, Ophthalmic Surgeon
Experience:  BA, MA (Cambridge) MB,BS (London) FRCOphth (London)

Can I treat Iritis with sulfacetamide sodium ophthalmic solution

Can I treat Iritis with sulfacetamide sodium ophthalmic solution usp, 10% drops?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Dansingani replied 7 years ago.
Dear Wanda,

Sulfacetamide is an antibacterial preparation used to treat bacterial infections of the surface of the eye.

Iritis is an inflammatory condition in which structures inside the eye become inflamed. Commonly, this inflammation occurs for reasons that cannot be determined (we could call this primary or idiopathic iritis).

Sometimes, iritis can be secondary to another cause, which may be an infection (eg with Herpes simplex virus), or recent eye trauma. Iritis can also occur after eye surgery.

The treatment of iritis is:
  1. treat the underlying cause (eg treat the infection)
  2. use topical steroid drops to suppress the inflammation of the iritis

Additionally, it may be necessary to use dilating drops to maintain iris mobility and prevent the formation of adhesions inside the eyeball.

Importantly, the use of topical steroids should be supervised by an ophthalmologist. This is because disgnosing iritis and its underlying cause can sometimes be complex. Moreover, if steroids are applied to an eye with infection, the infection can get worse (especially herpetic infections). In some cases of iritis, the eye pressure may be raised and may require additional pressure-lowering treatment.

The basic symptoms of iritis include:
  1. eye pain that may be 'smarting' in character
  2. painful photophobia (bright light makes the pain worse)
  3. painful accommodation (increased pain when looking at small print close up)
  4. redness of the white of the eye around the cornea
  5. blurring of vision

If you believe you have iritis, it is very advisable to get your eyes checked out by an ophthalmologist. Primary or idiopathic iritis often does not get better until it is treated appropriately, and delaying treatment can make it harder to overcome.

I hope your problem resolved soon. If the advice is helpful, kindly press the 'accept' link.
Thanks & best wishes.