Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

16 MONTH OLD GRANDSON WAS DIAGNOSED AFTER MONTHS (5) OF TESTS

16 MONTH OLD GRANDSON WAS DIAGNOSED AFTER MONTHS (5) OF TESTS TO SEE WHY THE EYE INFECTION IT IS PLASMINOGEN DEFICIENCY AND THE EYE WAS TREATED WITH DROPS HOURLY M(7 WEEKS). HE IS STARTING TO OPEN HIS EYE NOW BUT NOT COMPLETELY. THEY SAY ONLY A SMALL WHITE SPOT IS ON THE CORNEA AND EYESIGHT WAS GOOD. PLASTIC SURGEON LOOKED AT THE EYE TO SEE IF EYELID COULD BE RAISED OR IF NERVES WERE DAMAGED OR NOT WORKING TO OPEN THE EYE COMPLETELY THEY ARE NOW SAYING HE IS BLIND IN THE EYE. WHERE CAN WE TAKE HIM TO HAVE SOMEONE ACCURATELY LOOK AT HIS EYE OR IF THE DELAYS OR TREATMENT HAS DAMAGED HIS EYESIGHT
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I'm sorry to hear about your family's problems. This is a tough condition to treat. The treatment seem to involve plasminogen IV or eyedrops. Sometimes the inflammation from the eyelids and conjunctiva can involve the cornea. At his age, we also need to be concerned about amblyopia if the eye was closed for a significant amount of time.

I'm not sure where he is, but there should be a university somewhere around. This usually have pediatric ophthalmologists who would be the best equipped to exam him and inform you of the condition.

I hope this helps and thank you.