Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

Hello, and I hope you can help a very worried Mum. My son,

Hello, and I hope you can help a very worried Mum.
My son, who is a professional animator, living and working in London, has developed UVitis. He is 29 years old and the condition occurred suddenly during a holiday in Paris - when he lost his vision temporarily. After 4 weeks of treatment, when he thought it had cleared up, it has recurred, and he has now undergone tests to find out the cause. He will get the test results tomorrow. I live in the North of England and can't be with him, and I'm absolutely worried sick about him. Please can you give me some information about UVitis. I had never heard of it before. Is it an infection? Is it likely to be caused by something more serious? I will be very grateful for any help you can give me.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Uveitis is an inflammation of the eye. It is like arthritis, but of the eye and not the joint. It is not an infection. Most of the time, it has no underlying causes. We usually treat it with a steroid eyedrop until it is completely resolved.

However, sometimes when you stop the treatment the condition can immediately recur (especially if the inflammation had not completely resolved). Rarely, a person can get a recurrent uveitis from some underlying cause. When a uveitis recurs, we usually get blood test to look for such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, sarcoidosis, ankylosing spondylitis, and other autoimmune conditions.

Usually, uveitis is easy to treat (other than recurrence when you stop treatment). Some people have chronic recurrent uveitis. Then we have to worry about long term effects of uveitis and steroid treatments, such as glaucoma and cataracts.

Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified in ophthalmology
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I would like to have more information about the possible 'autoimmune' conditions. Please can you give me a brief summary about those you mention i.e. lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, sarcoidosis, ankylosing spondylitis.