Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

Bleb dysthesia--is this a commom situation I have cells growing

Bleb dysthesia--is this a commom situation? I have cells growing over the pupil. My doctor said that it needed to be removed in a 20 minute operation. Will it grow back? What caused it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Did you have a trabeculectomy?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, about 3 years ago. Is this cancer or the beginning of cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Without looking at your eye, I can only postulate. It sounds like one of two things: the bleb itself is large and growing over the cornea or you have what is called epithelial ingrowth.

It is not uncommon for large blebs to droop over the cornea and even grow onto it. The treatment is scraping of the tissue off the cornea. Sometimes, you can inject some autologous blood to scar down and shrink the bleb.

With epithelial ingrowth, the cells grown down into the eye through an external connection (the wound from surgery). This can become a bit of a problem since they are inside the eye. They have to be completely scraped away or they may regrow. They can lead to corneal scarring or more ominously glaucoma.