Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

cataract surgery-both eyes-along with lasik..left eye..detached retina

I had cataract surgery-both eyes-along with lasik for astigmatism. I started seeing flashes on outside of oleft eye about 2 weeks ago-then also on right eyeside. Saw eye dr.-I do not have a detached retina,but have thing edges of cornea,with pinpoint pricks. I never had this before the eye surgery. Some days,only 2-3 times,other days,much more frewquent. Can you tell me what these are,and will they ever cease? Cause for concern? Betty Ray
You are experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people. In your case, the process is accelerated after cataract surgery.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time, it liquifies and can sometimes clump together causing floaters. As it liquifies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

During that exam, your ophthalmologist looked at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal detachment, hole, or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found. In patients with a new PVD and recent symptoms, examinations are spread out. The next one should be in 2-3 weeks, then 1 month, then 4-6 months apart. The symptoms will eventually fade.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.