Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I have a thin black line in my right eye that looks likes a

I have a thin black line in my right eye that looks likes a black thread which moves around in my eye and occassional a bright flashes on the outside of my eye. At this time I am a DOD civilian serving in Iraq and really don't have access to an eye specialist.

Thank you
Peggy Salters [email protected]
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
How long have you been having these symptoms?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
About 24 hours
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
It looks like like you have a posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing change. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. As it shrinks, it may cause traction on the retina which may lead to flashes of light and floaters in the eye. Usually, it goes uneventful, but sometimes it amy cause a retinal tear which can lead to retinal detachment and serious loss of vision. So, a person with these symptoms must get a dilated fundus examination to rule out any retinal tear. However RD is not so common after a posterior vitreous detachment so probably you can relax but in case your floaters increase then you must go a to an ophthalmologist as that could be a sign of retinal tear. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.