Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

My doc attempt to put a piggyback lens into my eye because

My doc attempt to put a piggyback lens into my eye because the cataract replacement lens was not doing it's job (20/80), but injector damaged the lens and the doc had to go in and remove it. Second try - same thing happened despite new injector & lens. He gave up. Later that day I realized my vision in that eye was totally white. Doc says it's swelling (+3) in the cornea. Presure in OK. He said it would get better but has been 9 days with no improvement. Told me today I may need a donor transplant if it doesn't get better in a few months. Any thoughts or ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.
The cornea basically gets swelled up if the cells on the posterior part of the cornea are damaged to a large extent. This might have occured in your case due to the faulty injector tried twice during the surgery. If the cells on the posterior part of cornea are adequate, then the edema will subside slowly over the next few days. But if the edema persists then your cornea is no viable and you would need a donar cornea transplant surgery.
Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is nothing new. This is the same info my doc gave me today. But six days ago, he said it would be fine by today. Now today he says it is taking longers. How long before he knows if the cornea is viable? I have no focus - can't drive or read! How long do I wait before pressuring him to do the donor transplant. Should I sue him for the double equipment failure. I've never sued anybody in my life. I know he didn't mean for this to happen but it's my eyes!!!
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 4 years ago.
I can understand your frustration.
The treatment he is giving you is appropriate. Given the present symptoms your vision should improve in the next 10-15 days if the cornea has adequate cells.
As far as legal initiation is concerned, that is your discretion. Complication like yours are rare to occur but they can happen, specially since you had a previous surgery also.
If your doctor was trying a piggy back lens, then he seems to be experienced and competent. Every surgery carries a small percentage of risks. In your case you landed up with one of the most troublesome kinds.
Regards
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)