Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

hello- my wife has eye pain behind the eye ball back down the

hello- my wife has eye pain behind the eye ball back down the neck and shoulder. Light is painful. eyes checked several time by competent Dr. no lasting relief. Had two falls (about three feet) on concrete when a child and may have injured head. may have had cat scan. Can get no new answers. Could go to San Francisco if necessary to specilist. help. thank you. r. bruce
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

When did this problem start?
Has she lost any weight?
Any jaw pain with chewing?
What tests were ordered and what were the results?
How many visits to the ophthalmologist has she had?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

two years

up and down 3 or 4 lbs

yes- diagnosed with TMJ - fitted with mouth piece - teeth ground badly

blood tests, stomach possible gastronenterrology problems (tube down throat) there are no firm results given except at UC Davis where the picture was taken of the slightly swollen nerve at the back of the eye ball.

Several visits where the perscriptions were: prednisolone aceta 1% ophth susp 10ml falco and travatan Z 0.004% soln 5ml alcon.

sorry for delay- I was waiting on the "waiting room" window. R. Bruce

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
So, is the eye pain the primary problem causing the neck and shoulder problems?
Was the swollen nerve on one side or both sides?
What has the CT of the head and around the eyes shown?

You should be getting emails notifying you of my replies as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes the eye pain is the main cause of the neck and soulder problem.

swollen nerve on one side only

no- it was thought to be just a migraine. the focus was on high blood pressure. i might add my wife has been sensitive to light most of her adult life.

thank you r. bruce

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
There are two places the problem can be. The first would be inflammation inside the eyes, but her ophthalmologist would have been able to pick up on any signs of that. Since the swollen nerve is on one side, it leads me to think something is going on in the tissue around that eye. A CT scan of the orbits would be a good initial study to look for any problems.

The eye department at UC Davis is excellent. You may want to ask them again about the possibility of orbital disease since she has a swollen nerve on one side. Since the cause of a problem is still not clear, it is difficult to know what specialist referral is next. A neuro-ophthalmologist generally deals with symptoms your wife is having.

UC Davis has a neuro-ophthalmology department. You can contact them here http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/eyecenter/specialities/neuroophthalmology.html

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Edited by Dr. James on 10/9/2009 at 3:38 AM EST
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. James: all things considered and how this has been going on for some time ("eye aches") you have helped. I don't know if there is an actual reachable answer at this time. we will follow up at UC Davis. thanks r. Bruce
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome. Best wishes to you wife.