Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

I have double vision in my right eye. It started shortly after

I have double vision in my right eye. It started shortly after receiving my third hepatits shot. I read that one of the side effects, from this shot is a change in vision. I went as recently last week to our local VA hospital, and the intern told me I have a muscle weakness, and it could take from two weeks to three months to get my vision back. Also it possible surgery could be in my future. He offered a special plastic glass that actually took away the double vision. But he was afraid that if my eye improved, that this wouldn't work for me. Should I ask him to provide this as a temp solution?
Which hepatitis shot did you take?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't remember the exact name, but it was the last one of a total of three that was required. I took the first one back in march 2009, the second one a couple of weeks later, and had to wait for six months for the last one.

You probably took the Hepatitis b vaccine. This vaccine can cause vision problems that is double vision but the more serious thing is optic neuritis which also it can cause. Because of optic neuritis vision can be lost permanently. Double vision is likely to go but optic neuritis can be a serious issue. So, I would advise you to go for a dilated fundus examination as well as an orthoptic examination by seeing an ophthalmologist. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes Sir, I had the Hepatitis b Vaccine. I also had the dilated fundus exam. He said again that he thought the problem was a vascular muscle. He also showed me a prizm that actually too the double vision away. It would be attached to my regular eyeglass. What do you recommend for my problem, perhaps surgery?
Thanks
No, one can say whetger surgery is required or not without an orthoptic work-up. Your extra-ocular muscles seem to be affected by the vaccine. It would be better to ask this question to your ophthalmologist who has examined you. However, if the vision improves with prisms, you should go for that and see if things improve with time. Thanks.