Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

I see things floating around in my eyes. Is this something

Customer Question

I see things floating around in my eye's. Is this something I need to worry about?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

You mean to say that you have floaters in your eyes?Do you also see any flashes of light?

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
It looks like like you have a posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing change. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. As it shrinks, it may cause traction on the retina which may lead to flashes of light and floaters in the eye. Usually, it goes uneventful, but sometimes it amy cause a retinal tear which can lead to retinal detachment and serious loss of vision. If it goes uneventful, flashes of light disappear once the PVD is complete but floaters persist. So, a person with these symptoms must get a dilated fundus examination to rule out any retinal tear.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.