Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

My son was diagnosed with RA when he was 13. He now is 50 and

My son was diagnosed with RA when he was 13. He now is 50 and after years and years of laser surgery and other intervention, today he is totally blind. His doctor tells him that from the outside looking in, he has a very healthy looking eye. Why, then can he not see out of this eye.(L) His R eye has atrophied to blindness and he has not been able to see out of it for about ten years. What is going on here?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me the vision? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is totally blind in both eyes and has been told by his doctor that there is nothing further they can do for him.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I,m sorry. I meant to say he has RP retinititis pigmatosa
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.
It looks as if he has pthysis in his left eye. So, nothing can be done for it. Even for the right eye nothing much can be done if retinitis pigmentosa has been diagnosed.

Complete blindness does not occur in Retinitis pigmentosa. This is one positive thing. Those affected first experience night blindness, followed by constriction of the visual field and eventually the loss of central vision late in the course of the disease.

Studies have suggested that treatment with antioxidants (such as vitamin A palmitate) may slow the disease from getting worse but they are debabtable.

Several clinical trials are in progress to investigate new treatments for retinitis pigmentosa. Microchip implants that go inside the retina are in the early stages of development for treating blindness associated with this condition. Thanks.

Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IN OUR CORRESPONDENCE THIS WEEK ABOUT MY 50 YEAR OLD SON WITH RETINITIS PIGMATOSIS, YOU RESPONDED THAT HE MUST HAVE PYTHIA IN HIS RIGHT EYE; I'VE SEARCHED EVERYWHERE AND CANNOT FIND A DEFINITION OF PYTHIA OR PYTHIS. PLEASE EXPLAIN IN DETAIL. MIMI TRUDEAU
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 4 years ago.

Pththisis bulbi is a term that describes atrophy and degeneration of a blind eye. It can be the end result of many conditions, almost any eye disease that results in blindness can produce phthisis bulbi. The condition often leads to an eye that is unsightly and/or painful. If there is no pain, then no treatment is required. This I am saying because you told me "His R eye has atrophied to blindness and he has not been able to see out of it for about ten years" which is suggesstive of that. Thanks.

Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist