Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

About 3 weeks ago I experienced sudden blurriness in my left

Customer Question

About 3 weeks ago I experienced sudden blurriness in my left eye. Thinking it was just a ripped or dirty contact lens, I changed to a new one. It was as if nothing had changed. My vision was just as blurry and it was as if I wasn't even wearing a lens. This blurriness remained for the remainder of the day.

The next morning when I awoke and put in my lens my vision was once again perfect. I had no problems for the next few days until the same thing happened. I went through the exact same thing and the next day my vision was fine again. This happened 3 or 4 times over a 3 week period.

This week has been terrible. It's started within 10 minutes of waking up and continunes throughout the day. I've read about other people who have had similar issues, but their eyes get better towards the end of the day. I'm completely opposite as my eye deadens throughout the day. The vision in my left eye (-3.50) is exactly the same whether I'm wearing contacts, glasses, or nothing. Any thoughts?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Do you sleep in your contact lenses?
What is the brand of contact lenses?
How is your vision with glasses during these episodes?
Any pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No

Currently Acuvue 2, but they gave me Air Optics to wear during this week thinking that might be the issue.

My vision in glasses is the same as with my contacts. It's as if I don't even have them on.

Generally no pain, although it does hurt every once in a while and feels like it might be scratched.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
How many continuous days have you gone without contacts since 3 weeks ago?
How many times has it happeded with the Air optix?
Is your vision blurry up close as well this this happens?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wore my contacts each day over the last 2 1/2 weeks. I've worn them on a limited basis over the last 3 days.

It's been constantly blurry since changing to the Air optix. This morning I had about 10 minutes of good vision until it went completely blurry as if I'm not wearing anything and has been like this the entire day.

Blurry up close and afar, again, as if I'm not wearing anything. This applies to glasses as well as contacts.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Thank for the additional information. I agree with your optometrist in that it is related to your contact lenses and oxygen deprivation to your cornea. Your cornea does not have its own blood supply and gets oxygen from the tears. When you wear contact lenses, it cuts down on the oxygen availability. If you sleep in contact lenses, it cuts it down even more.

Acuvue 2 is a older type lenses and has limited oxygen permeability. Air optix is better and should not have the same problem. However, you may be having continued problems with the Air Optix because you have not allowed your eyes sufficient time to heal. I recommended a conact lens holiday for 1-2 weeks then restart on the Air Optix.

If you have the blurriness during this trial off contacts lenses, then it points to another problem which needs further evaluation. My suspicion is still corneal edema related to limited oxygen through the contact lenses.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.