Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My eye sight has change dramatically

My eye sight has change dramatically
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

Is your symptoms predominantly eye irritation or loss of vision?
Was the double vision when looking out of the affected left eye only or with both eyes?
With the appropriate lenses (-2.50) on the left eye, do you see normally?
What drops are you currently using?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is my right eye that i can't see in. It has changed from -1.75 to -2.5. Today they just tried to put lenses on my eye and asked me to read the lines. I could read when they got it to a certain strenght but then i saw two lines. Although I could read both lines. They said great you can see, I said wait i see two lines though.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Do you still have irritation in that eye?
What do they think of the Thygeson's?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No irritation in my eye at all. Doesn't hurt, itch, red nothing. He said he didn't know what was wrong with the virus on my eye last week, it could be Thygeson's. Today I asked him and he said they have no idea what it is and there are no known causes.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Thygeson's superifical punctate keratopathy is thought to be caused by a virus. The exact virus is unknown and can have a chronic, recurrent course. Click on the below link for more information. http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/dept/DIAGTRT/Thygeson/Thygeson.htm

For your doctor to suggest that diagnosis, he must have seen corneal lesions similar to the picture in the above link. Your double vision, sudden change in prescription, and diagnosis of a corneal infection strongly suggest a corneal surface irregularity. To confirm this, a corneal topography is helpful. This evaluates the corneal curvature and gives a printout of its regularity (simliar to a map showing the hills and valleys).

I agree with your doctor that since the symptoms came on suddenly, a change in glasses or contact lenses at this time is not appropriate. The cornea needs time to heal back to its regular shape. Frequent artificial tears and staying out of your contact lenses is helpful.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I get a corneal topography? Ok. So you are suggesting just wait it out. What do I do in the meantime not seeing? Is it normal to not see up close and far away? Should I be driving? You don't think this has any correlation with Chantix? Thank you for the picture and information also helping my spell Thygeson's:) I just am so worried.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
A corneal topography is helpful. If you are nearsighted (-2.50), you should be able to see clearly up close but not far away. But with an irregular corneal surface, then vision is can be blurry at all distances. I don't think it is related to the Chantix. It is to tie those two together because the cause of Thygeson itself is not known.

If the rest of the eye (retina, nerve, lens) appears normal and the cornea is suspected to be the problem, then waiting it out is the appropriate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok. Thank you soooo much! you were so helpful.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome.

Please remember to accept.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon