Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

eye..my left eye..my right eye dilation was small - I tested my eyes

A few nights ago I sensed that my eyelid on my right eye was drooping and when I looked in the mirror the eye was smaller then my right eye, at the same time my left eye was fully dilated and my right eye dilation was small - I tested my eyes by covering them for a while in a darkend room and then went into a well lit room to see if there was any change but there was no change. I was feeling fine, I went to bed and woke up the following morning with no problems with my eyes. Should I go and see my GP about this? Two years ago I suffered a single epileptic seizure - I was given tests on a MRI scan could this be an association.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

It would be better to see an ophthalmologist. If that is difficult then see an optometrist who would examine you and let you know whether you should see an ophthalmologist or not. A dilated pupil can indicate a pathology of the posterior segment of the eye. Drooping of the eyelid along with dilatation of the same eye indicates towards third cranial palsy or paresis. So, you should see an ophthalmologist and not a GP. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Edited by Dr. Shariq Riaz on 10/6/2009 at 2:49 PM EST