Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Hi-After the birth of my second daughter, we had a standard

Customer Question

Hi-After the birth of my second daughter, we had a standard visit from a HV to asses how she was. Everything was ok, but then she she asked whether we were aware that my eldest daughter (who will be 3 this month) had a squint? We immediately dismissed the claim in our heads as surely we would have noticed this before. I have done nothing over the last couple of days than to look into this subject, which I was totally ignorant of before hand. I have also observed my girls eyes intently & tried to pick up on any signs. She does appear to have a squint albeit small & converged, but for the majority of the time her eyes seem perfectly aligned. It does seem to occur when she is tired & looking back on some photo's it is also clear now I know to look for it. I am very worried & concerned for her future. We have her booked in for an eye test today, but I am concenred about a successful outcome. Is her squint less severe?What are her chances of recovery? I feel like I have let my angel down.T
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

Can you expain what an "HV" is?
Is this question regarding the 3 month old?
Any problems during the pregnancy or birthing process?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry - I ran out of space - HV is a health visitor. My daughter will be 3 yeasrs old this month. No problems, other than she was 3.5 week prem.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Your doctor will be able assess if there is a misalignment of the eyes (squint) or not. This is done just by looking and also by covering one eye and then the other. Subtle misalignments can be missed by the casual observer. The next step is to check for a glasses prescription. Ensure that her eyes are dilated for an accurate prescription.

It is normal for eyes to wander sometimes, especially during times of inattention and tiredness. Your assessment of your daughters eyes being straight is likely correct. If anything, it would be a small misalignment. It does not seem worrisome. The exam today should be helpful for confirmation.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.