Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

Hello - I have had an eye examination today - three years since

Hello - I have had an eye examination today - three years since last one - and have had a diagnosis of mild cataracts in both eyes. The optician seems to think that surgery is probably an option in around five years or so. Do you agree and what would be the cost of the procedure?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
No one can say with surity when you would have to go for surgery. It is a very subjective thing. Many people who are very fond of reading etc prefer to get it done very early where as others don't. Also you can never be sure at what rate the cataract would progress. In diabetics it can progress at fast rate. Even in non-diabetics fast progression is seen many a times. If the optician is saying that you would need surgery after 5 years, it probably means that you have very early cataract.

The cost of surgery varies depending upon the lens, surgeon, etc. On an average, it costs around $3000. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.