Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My eye started to swell on Wednesday

Customer Question

My eye started to swell on Wednesday. It was swollen shut on Thursday and I went to the doctor. He said allergies and gave me some meds. It has been five days since getting treatment and my eye is still swollen at the end away from my nose. Do I need to go back to the general pract. or go to an optometrist?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You should go to your optometrist or ophthalmologist who have more experience with examing the eyes. Allergies often have itching as a sign. You can use cool compresses to help with the swelling. In addition, you can use artificial tears to soothe the eye in the meantime.

Remember to press the green accept button. Feel free to ask any additional follow up questions. Best wishes to you. Smile
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is a pain in the corner of my eye away from my nose and I noticed that the white part of my eye was swollen along with the skin around my eye. It began to leak out a white material this morning. I am taking Leviquin, optivar eye drops, and methylprednisolone currently. If it is allergies why just one eye?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Then you likely have a stye, which is a blocked oil gland of the eyelid. Continue taking the antibiotics. Warm compesses 3-4 times a day will help that stye self-drain.