Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

i have been seeing little worm like things in my vision i was

i have been seeing little worm like things in my vision i was wondering what thi could be and what it is caused by
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquifies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters or worms. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. It is recommended you have have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems. If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
but they look like worms and they are getting larger
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Do you have diabetes?
When did they first appear?
Are they always there?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i do not have diabetes they first started to appear about six months ago and yes they are always there
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Without any medical problems such as diabetes, they are likely to be floaters as I have described before. Blood in the eye can also look like worms or swirls of smoke as some patients have described them. It is easy to distinguish blood from regular floaters just by looking. Make an appointment with your eye doctor.

Please remember to accept if my answer was helpful.

Edited by Dr. James on 10/5/2009 at 11:44 PM EST