Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I lost my vision in my right eye in an accident. The maceala

I lost my vision in my right eye in an accident. The maceala was torn and the optical nerve was crushed, is their an operation that can give me sight out of that eye again?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is no vision saving surgery or treatment for the injuries you described. The retina and optic nerve are an extension of the brain. Similar to spinal cord injuries, these nerves do not regenerate. It is important for you to wear safety polycarbonate shatterproof glasses to protect the good eye.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the green accept button so that I receive credit for my time.