Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I have a constantly winking eye because I feel pressure on

Customer Question

I have a constantly winking eye because I feel pressure on my left eye muscle. Doctors have checked me and they find my eyes healthy. I changed my glasses. They prescribe only occusoft pads and lubricant drops. Constantly winking my eye is very embarrasing and tiresome. I work in sewing and embroidery. Can you tell me what else could be causing this? Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

How long has it been having?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It started before past summer, say in June. It got better when I went on vacation to the beach in July. I came back home and at the end of August it started again and it's still ongoing.

( I have also tried some tranquilizing pills, but I don't do it regularly because I don't like to take those pills.)

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Is there any irritation in your eyes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Not really. Once in a while I feel them tired I think more because of the constant winking. I am sure they are also dry because of all the fabric I handle, constantly cutting and sewing and embroidery.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

Winking is very likely to be due to some irritation in the eye. It could be due to some concretions prent on the undersurface of the lids which can be seen only when your doctor everts the lids and looks for them. If your doctor was not an ophthalmologist, I would advise you to see one. Though the treatment which are getting is right. But if concretions are present, they need to be pricked with a needle. Any other source of irritation in eyes such as allergy(your work place), meibomitis, blepharitis, dryness e.t.c. should also be ruled out. Sometimes, there is no problem and it just becomes a habit to wink. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dr. Riaz, if this has become habit, (I would not be surprised), do you have any recommendations as to how to break this?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

In my patients, I have seen it to be common among children. You are the first adult patient. You will have to restrict yourself from doing it. Initially, it will be difficult but then you will easily get over it. Nobody can help you except you yourself. Thanks.