Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

i see black spots from time to time and also ocassional bright

Customer Question

i see black spots from time to time and also ocassional bright coloures spot, has been happening for 3 years now, am 36yo, will this ever go away? not had an eye check up in 2years.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.

How often does this happen?
Are you noticing an increase number of these black spots?
Any change in vision?
Are the bright color spots increasing in frequency?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think daily but might not note it on a particular day as try to ignore.

Vision not changed.

Frequency not changed though does seem more noticeable on some days.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time, it liquifies and can sometimes clump together causing floaters. As it liquifies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see. It is unusual for a PVD to last more than a year, but the flashes should eventually stop. The floaters, however, may not. Not treatment is recommended for the floaters as they generally pose more risks than benefits.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear.

In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found. If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions. Smile

Edited by Dr. James on 10/3/2009 at 9:13 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

when it first started i had a lot of flashes with after images lasting hours...I saw an Ophthalmologist who said she didn't think looking at my eyes that i had PVD and she suggested i might have a type of migraine. I can at times get flashes (usually an isolated one) that lasts for hours or even days which may regress so I notice it when blinking my eyes...I also do have some 'cobwebs' for years now, the first one was noticed at 11yo as a line against clear sky...these days can't really tell if they are changing as such a diffuse pattern. Also about 10 years ago i was getting daily eye pain in one/both eyes for about 2 years, at times this could be very acute but not with any eye pain. Am i a hypochondriac or is there anything that ties my symptoms together?

I am -3.5 in both eyes, first got glasses at 14yo.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Ocular migraines is a possibility. Flashes of lights tend to last 20-30 minutes and usually start in the periphery and extend into the center. Some people describe them as looking through cracked glass or a kaleidoscope. These often don't need to be treated, but if they are happening frequently, then typical migraines prophylaxis may help decrease its frequency.

Your symptoms don't sound worrisome, however. I would still recommend a dilated eye exam since it has been two years.

Please remember to accept if my answer has been helpful.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome. Best wishes to you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I still have some of these symptoms one anhalf yeats later but bright flashes not so much,

I wondered if I could have some connective tissue disorder that is causing premature liquefication of gel in my eye....I notice bright after images more in night light