Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

what is the best drop rx or otc for severe blood shot eyes

what is the best drop rx or otc for severe blood shot eyes from overuse of contacta
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.

What brand of contacts are you using?
How many hours a day do you wear them?
Does the visine help?
How long have you been using Visine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
B/L day and nite contacts, 12 plus hours a day do sleep with them in on occasion , visine helps a little but are still very bloodshot, using visine for a couple days now have not had contacts in for 2 days still blood shot
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
The redness is related to contact lens overuse. The best way to relieve the redness is to correct the underlying problem.

• If you have significant protein buildup on your contact lenses, you may benefit from an enzymatic cleaner used once a week (such as Clear Care).
  • The fit of your contact lenses might have changed. If they are too tight, redness can result. See your optometrist for a refit.
  • If you tend to get the redness towards the end of the day, it may be drying out and you may need to use contact lens rewetting eye drops. The Visine will help tempororarily but do not correct the underlying problem.

For now, continue to stay out of your contact lenses. If you develop increasing pain, light sensitivity, decrease vision, that may be a sign of infection and you'll need to see your ophthalmologist. Once the sypmptoms improve after staying out of your contact lenses, wear a new pair of contacts with the above changes.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions. Smile
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon