Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

Hello, I had my left pupil dilated yesterday and it is

I had my left pupil dilated yesterday and it is still dilated. It has been 18 hours. Should I be worried? I'm 56, female, blue eyes. Thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
The duration of pupillary dilatation depends on the eye drops used. Tropicamide eye drops last for 2-4 hours. yclopentolate for 24-36 hours and atropine even longer. In your case, you might have been dilated with cyclopentolate eye drops. This will take a couple days for the pupil to return to normal.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know what kind of drops were used and it's the weekend so I can't call to find out. So I can assume then that I had one of the drops that last longer? I have been worried that this indicated a side effect or a bad reaction to the drug.
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
Yes, in your case this might be an eye drop with longer duration of action. The effect should wear off over the weekend.