Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

i have one eye tearing. For 2 days now and more and more t

I have one eye tearing. About 4 days ago the eye seem to have a small sty on the inside upper corner. I applied hot towels on and all was well. Until 2 days ago when I noticed some tears, now more and more tears. There is no pain. The liquid is clear, like tears. One eye. It was manage able until today, I am flowing more and more it seems..i noticed that near my nose side in the corner there is some swelling where the sty was. maybe more hot compresses? I am concerned about glaucoma, It is every where in my family history. What is the problem and what can I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
Since you are able to see the inflammation on the eyelid, then the tearing is most probably in response to the stye or the infection. You did the right thing in applying warm compresses. I would advise you to continue doing the same. Also take oral anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen for 3-4 days. You can also use anti-inflammatory eye frops like vovero ophtha or zaditen (available over the counter).
In case of glaucoma, the symptoms can be similar but there would be no localized swelling on the eyelid and there would be blurring of vision along with tearing. So, the present problem does not seem like glaucoma, but can be confirmed only not a first hand evaluation.
So, I would advise you to consult an Ophthalmologist as soon as possible to rule out glaucoma or whether you need antibiotics for the eyelid infection.