Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I have one swollen eyelid. My optometrist ruled out any neurological

Customer Question

I have one swollen eyelid. My optometrist ruled out any neurological defect, but said I have an allergic eyelid. I have tried multiple prescribed drops, but nothing seems to work. Could there be another reason other than allergies that he is perhaps missing? Would I possibly benefit from seeing an ophthalmologist instead?
Category: Eye
Expert:  DrDLove replied 7 years ago.

How long has the eyelid been swollen?

Do you have any other symptoms?

Is your vision affected?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has been swelling off and on for about a year, but constantly swollen for approximately 4 months. The only other symptom I have is occasional cloudiness in that eye; maybe once or twice a week and lasting a few minutes. The vision itself seems to be a little bit worse (but not terrible), but then again my eyelid comes down over the top of my pupil. I am also taking Zyrtec plain daily to see if this helps, but it hasn't as of yet
Expert:  DrDLove replied 7 years ago.
Certainly an allergy would be the most common cause, but since the allergy medicines have not helped, it would indicate that something else is happening. Actually, here are a couple types of allergies that can occur. The most common type is due to allergens in the air. There also can be a contact dermatitis, which is usually a reaction to a soap or cleaning product. Other common causes of lid swelling, such as a stye or chalazion would usually not be as persistent as your symptoms. Blepharitis can occur both as an acute or a chronic condition. Yes, the next step would be to see an ophthalmologist. An ophthalmologist has more training in diseases of the eyes.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

I am one of the ophthalmology experts here on JustAnswer. If you have additional questions, I woud be happy to answer them.

Dr. James