Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)

my daughter turnign six next week) has accomodative estropia

my daughter turnign six next week) has accomodative estropia which showed up in the last year (muscles just let go). I am told she can be on a wait list for surgury for 5 to 8 months which places her at 6.5 over over for the surgury. I was given the impression that once a child hits 6.5 and over the eye surgury is not as successful as it would be if she was younger. If I cold find a place that could do the surgury sooner (within the next 3 to 5 months) is there any advantage to getting it done several months sooner for recovery and success purposes
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
The treatment for accomodative esotropia is glasses. The glasses might be bifocal for far and near vision both in this kind of esoptropia. Surgery is usually done as a last resort for the nonaccommodative component only. If that is the case, then she does need surgery as early as possible. She would still need glasses later on after surgery. If she continue using her glasses, then a delay would not harm her much. but there is no specific age limit for the surgery.