Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My 4-year old just got diagnosed with Astigmatism 0.75 in

My 4-year old just got diagnosed with Astigmatism: 0.75 in right eye and 1.75 in left eye. My questions are:

(1) Are these readings high/serious?
(2) Typically how high is the reading when people need glasses?
(3) Would astigmatism in kids go away when they grow older?
(4) If the prescriptions are higher than what he really needs (I worry that he's still too young to communicate whether he sees the eye chart clearer or not when the doc did the eye test), would the glasses with higher prescriptions make his eyes worse?
(5) Both my husband and my family don't have a history of Astigmatism. I wonder what might have caused it.

Do you know the numbers for the rest of the prescription?
Did the optometrist or ophthalmologist recommend glasses?
How was the vision checked?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

+0.25 for both right and left eyes (spherical)

-0.75 (right) -1.75 (left) Cylindrical -- I was told this is for astigmatism

Yes, the Ophthalmologist recommended glasses and said he has lazy eyes.

The Opth used both an eye chart and asked my son to look through a machine, with eye drops that my son complained it hurt.

Thanks!

A lazy eye (or amblyopia) is where one eye's vision is weaker than the other. This can be due to a misalignment or difference in prescription. In your son's case, your doctor thinks the left eye is weaker because the images your son sees is slighlty blurrier due to the astigmatism.

The amount of astigmatism is moderate in the left eye, but it is the difference between the two eyes that is more important. Wearing the glasses all the time should help improve his vision. After he gets his glasses, he would need to get his vision checked with them to make sure he is seeing appropriately.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX history, it only plays a small role. Many children with astigmatism have no family history. That is why early screening in school and preschool is important to pick up any anomalies.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions. Smile
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. James, thank you for your answer!

I also want to know what can cause a kid that young to have astigmatism and would it improve when he grows older?

You're welcome. There's no real explanation for the cause of it. It is just how his eyeball is shaped. His prescription will change as it gets older. So it's important for him to have regular checks to make sure he has the correct prescription. Some kids will self-correct and may not need glasses in the future.

Please remember to accept if my answer has been useful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you so much, it's very helpful.

One last question: what reading is considered high for astigmatism?

Less than 0.75 does not usually need correction. -1.75 is moderate. If that eye appears weaker, however, correction is definitely needed. I would say anything above -2.50 is high.

Edited by Dr. James on 10/2/2009 at 2:50 AM EST