Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I suffer from intermittent watery eyes which is associated

I suffer from intermittent watery eyes which is associated with copious clear and watery nasal discharge particularly when out-of -doors in cool, humid conditions. Both symptoms are much less troublesome in warm, dry weather.
I am 73 years old and am in good health except for benign prostate enlargement for which I am taking finasteride.

Is it one eye or both eyes?
When was the last time your eyes were examined?
Do you have seasonal allergies?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Both eyes are affected

Eyes examined about 6 months ago and 18 months before that. No abnormalities found.

No seasonal allergies that I am aware of. I at first thought it might be an allergic reaction but anti-histamines were not effective and climatic conditions seem to be the main factor.

Your symptoms are suggestive of dry eyes. Dry eyes can have all or some of the following symptoms: pain, heavy sensation of the eyelids, blurred vision, light sensitivity, tearing, mucous discharge, or crusting on the eyelids. Sometimes the change in weather can cause symptoms to be more apparent than at other times of the year.

I recommend using over the counter artificial tears 4-6 times a day. I also recommend starting on warm compresses of your eyelids. This will help soften the plugged oil glands of your eyelids. If you have significant debris buildup on your eyelashes, you can use dilute baby shampoo in warm water, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers twice a day.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions. Smile
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your thoughful and informative reply. I have tried hypomellose eye drops for dry eyes but this does not seem to help. However, this may not be the same as the artificial tears you recommend. Please advise.
The drops you are referring are thicker than regular artificial tears, but are very similar. Your symptoms are very suggestive of a poor tear film with reactive tearing to irritation. Try other over the counter artificial tears 4-6 times day to see if it improves.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you Dr James for your very helpful reply to my original question but I have another question which I would like to direct to you rather than to another consultant hence this reply. I have another £8 credit which I hope can be used to cover this further question.

Do you think, as seems to be implied by your answers, that an excessive clear watery mucoid discharge that requires almost continuous nose-blowing when walking, hiking and playing golf can also be explained by my watery eyes even though I do not suffer from any nasal drainage when experiencing watery eyes in other situations. Could there be some sympathetic irritation of the nasal mucous membranes in response to these specific activities and is there any simple remedy for this annoying symptom?

Eye secretions drain into the nose directly. If the nasal discharge occurs after your eyes are tearing, then the eye is the primary problem. If the nasal discharge is present even when you eyes are not watering, then that can indicate allergies or reponse to the environmental conditions.

It appears from your earlier description that the eyes are the primary problem. The tears, warm compresses, and lid scrubs are the first steps. If it continues, then an eye exam may be helpful to see of other treatments are helpful to reduce the irritation.