Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

My pupil in my right eye is slightly more dilated than the pupil..eyes

Customer Question

I am a little worried. My pupil in my right eye is slightly more dilated than the pupil in my left. I notice this more when the lighting in the room somewhat darker, but light is still making it to my eyes. When there is light evenly in both eyes, I don't notice it as much. They tend to dilate to the same size in this case.

I had a friend who noticed that one of her pupils were dilated larger than the other and she took herself to the hospital. Long story short, she was very close to having a stroke. At what point do I start to worry about this? I feel it necessary to say that I went to the eye doctor a few weeks back and had my pupils dilated, they haven't really been right since. Or least, that's when I started noticing it.

Any advice would be great!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
Stroke is not likely but a dilated pupil may indicate some disease of the posterior segment of the eye like macular hole, optic atrophy e.t.c. If on your previous visit, the ophthalmologist did not find anything abnormal then it could be physiological as well. Don't be scared about stroke. It is not that. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Edited by Dr.Shariq Riaz on 10/1/2009 at 1:59 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, great and thanks for putting my mind at ease. I have been a bit more stressed lately with a new job and getting sent home for an injury from the military. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
You are most welcome.