Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

I had an eye exam and was told that I have rential dystropy.

Customer Question

I had an eye exam and was told that I have rential dystropy. I understand it can cause tunnel vision. What is this condition and can it lead to loss of sight?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

"Retinal dystrophy" is a fairly general term and does not describe an exact diagnosis.
Did you doctor say anything further?
What problems have you been having with your eyes?
Any family history of eye problems?
What testing was done?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he used a machine that he pushed my eye up against to "view" the back of the eye....a large machine. He told me that this way they didn't have to put drops in and dialate the eye. Both eyes have it, he said it should be watched, checked every six months or so. I have NOT kept up that shedule :( I am now having a harder time seeing, using "dime store" readers and have noticed a "spot" in my vision in the right eye.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
I must step away from the computer so won't be able to answer fully. I'll allow other experts to answer if they choose to. You are describing a camera to look at the retina. Really, your eyes should be dilated if vision is deteriorating to get the best look.

It would be helpful if you can find the name of the 'retinal dystrophy' or describe what was seen on the pictures. Then we can give you more information.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Im sorry I can't tell you more, I just don't know. I understand your position. I will make an appointment for another exam and see what additional information I can obtain. I was really more concerned with the posibility of my sight being lost. My sight has changed significantly in the last couple of months, but it may just be age.
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
I agree with Dr. James. You should find out from your doctor which retinal dystrophy he was referring to. The symptoms that you have described could also be because of glaucoma(tunnel vision) and that can cause blindness and needs regular follow-up. Any peripheral retinal dystrophy can also cause tunnel vision. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.