Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

What is bleeding behind the eye

Customer Question

What is bleeding behind the eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I think you are referring to vitreous hemorrhage.

Please read this article for a detailed explanation of this condition:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1230216-overview

Take care.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.

Please note that answers and advice are for information only, and do not take the place of an assessment by your doctor, and does not establish a patient-physician relationship. Please Consult a Physician in your State for Medical Advice.

Answers provided through justanswer.com are for educational and research purposes only.

Edited by Dr. Ravoof on 9/29/2009 at 10:34 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well there seems to be an overwhelming list of possibilities for what is causing my problem. I was treated before with 1000mg of Cortizone in a suspension and given this everyday for four days (IV). After the treatment I was back to normal. It seems there was some swelling in the nerve behind my eye but nothing else was done. I am at a loss and don't know how to proceed. I am stationed in Germany with the Army and nobody seems to be able to find the cause.

Thanks for your reply.

I am going to opt out and refer your question to an eye specialist.

Take care.

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Was this in one or both eyes? Did it affect your vision? Did you have any other symptoms (like numbness or weakness in arm or leg)? Is your eye(s) back to normal now? Is the swelling gone?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is currently in both eyes and seems to be getting worse with time. It shows up in my eye as gray patches that I cannot see through. Right now the gray patches are on the outside parameter of my vision and my worry is they move to the center. If that happens I will no longer be able to see. My doctor now for some reason will not give me any medication and insists I continue with a multitude of tests. I believe I have run the course with regard to testing. (EKG/MRI/Ultra Sound on liver, heart and kidneys, blood tests and of course pictures of my eyes) After all of that nobody seems to know what to do other than say it's high blood pressure and nothing more. I have monitored my blood pressure for the last couple of months with a very high quality monitor with software that allows me to formulate graphs so that I can study potential trends. The average is a little out of normal range but I don't believe it's enough to cause the issues with my eye (140/82). I did notice that it is made worse when I drink alkohol so I have quite drinking completely. I also stopped because of the fatty liver. Well there you have it. If you need any additional information please let me know and I will be happy to provide. Oh and the pictures showed severe bleeding in the back of both eyes. I must also say that my vision is 20/20 based on all the tests they ran. This is not a vision issue in my opinion...it's something else and I need some advice.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer

First, the fact that your central acuity is still 20/20 is a good sign. What you seem to be describing is loss of some peripheral vision. This is usually caused by optic nerve problems (you had mentioned swollen optic nerves). Conditions that affect both optic nerves simultaneously is less common. These include hypertension, clotting diseases, pseudotumor cerebri, and diabetes.

I'm sure that they have performed blood tests to look into the clotting diseases. You may also need a spinal tap to rule out increased intracranial pressure (pseudotumor cerebri). If this is from hypertension or diabetes, controlling these diseases will eventually allow the body to absorb the blood. Sometimes, you may need laser treatments or injections of steroids into the eye to resolve the blood (especially if it is extensive).

Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified in ophthalmology