Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology

After removing my contac lenses last night I have had pain

After removing my contac lenses last night I have had pain in my eye. If feels like there is something in my eye although I do not see anything. I have used eye wash with a cup but it stings when I do so and doesn't alleviate the "something in the eye" feeling. I'm concerned about possible eye abrasion and infections that can develop if that is what I have. Is this something that warrants going directly to an Urgent Care facility or am I safe waiting for my eye doctor's office to open tomorrow?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

You are correct. There may be an abrasion. Sometimes with contacts, you can get a sterile ulcer (that is, an inflammation, not infection). Since this is Sunday, you can wait until tomorrow. However, the foreign body sensation may continue. You may have to see the doctor today just to get something to alleviate the symptoms. You can first try some artificial tear ointment to see if this relieves some of the irritation.