Dr Dansingani
Dr Dansingani, Ophthalmic Surgeon
Experience:  BA, MA (Cambridge) MB,BS (London) FRCOphth (London)

Hello... I have had Pseudotumor cerebri for going on 10 years.

Hello... I have had Pseudotumor cerebri for going on 10 years. I found out today that my ocular pressures are elevated....25 OD and 23 OS...Should I be concerned?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr Dansingani replied 7 years ago.
Hi there,

Glaucoma is a condition in which there is progressive damage to the optic nerves. In most cases, the damage is related to raised intraocular pressures.

However there are certain people who also develop glaucomatous optic nerve damage without having very high pressures. Also, there are people who have raised intraocular pressures but who do not develop any glaucomatous damage.

In both groups, the glaocoma can be slowed down or arrested by lowering the intraocular pressure, either with drops or surgery.

If the glaucomatous damage is advanced, it is easy to see during ophthalmological examination. If the extent of damage is subtle, it may only be detected by multiple examinations, looking for change in optic nerve appearances.

For most purposes, intraocular pressure upto 21mmHg is regarded as normal. Your pressures are only slightly higher than normal. Moreover if you happen to have thicker than average corneas, your pressures are likely to be overestimated anyway.

I don't think you should be too concerned but I do think you should be vigilant. Since pseudotumour cerebri can also affect the optic nerves, I think it would be wise for you to get yourself checked by an ophthalmologist. He/she may not be able to tell you conclusively at the first visit whether you have glaucoma. A further examination may be required 6 months later to look for change.

Unfortunately it is not possible to tell you without an examination whether you have glaucoma or not.

I hope the information is helpful. If so kindly click the 'accept' link.
Thanks & best wishes.