Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My stye has developed a pimple like whitehead on the shiny

My stye has developed a pimple like whitehead on the shiny part of my eyelid right below the eyelashes. I have the stye cream -- it is okay to apply the cream on the pimple like whitehead?

thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
What is the stye cream that you have?
Is it by prescription?
Any change in vision?
When did the stye start?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my sister's stye started yesterday. she is experiencing pain. started stye cream yesterday as well. no change in vision.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The name of the cream is Stye and it is over the counter -- not by prescription. No change in vision and it basically started yesterday. The pimple started this morning.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
A stye occurs when oil glands in your eyelids get blocked, very similar to a pimple. Treatment is to apply warm compresses to the area 3-4 times a day. This helps to soften the blocked oils and allows it to self drain. The stye creams available over the counter can help with some of the irritation but usually not effective in resolving the stye. Warm compresses are key. You doctor may prescribe an eye ointment that has an antibiotic and steroid that can be helpful.

Sometimes the stye can cause an infection that spread through the lower eyelid. In this case, antibiotics pills are needed. If you notice the swelling increasing or increasing pain, see your primary care doctor or ophthalmologist for a prescription.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you and your sister. Smile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much -- but my initial question was -- is it okay to apply the stye cream to the pimple which is on the shiny part of the eyelid just below the eyelash area.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Yes it is OK.

Please remember to accept if my answer was helpful.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon