Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I get random sharp pains in my eyes (not at same time). I have

I get random sharp pains in my eyes (not at same time). I have been check thoroughly twice by ophthalmologists and nothing was found, yet it happened today again and still does - not often though. It feels like a paper cut across my eye or under the eyeball.

It must be something. What should I do?

How long does the pain last?
Do your eyes tears?
Is it improved with artificial tears?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The pain is like a quick paper cut across the eye or under the eyeball. It last a second or two. No, my eyes don't tear but when it happens I instinctly grab my eye and put my hand over it. I don't know if that helps but it subsides quickly.

I have never thought to try artificial tears. I don't know if it is because of dry eyes. I never thought of that and it was never suggested by the doctors I saw.
Sharps pains that you are describing are usually due to irritation or sensitivity from the cornea. This is likely due to a poor tear film and dry eyes. Patient with lupus often have coexisting dry eyes.

I would recommend you use artificial tear 4-6 times a day. The oil glands of your eyelids may also be plugged up, contributing to the poor tear film. I also recommend starting on warm compresses of your eyelids. This will help soften the plugged up oil glands of your eyelids. After the warm compresses, you can use dilute baby shampoo in warm water, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers. Do this twice a day.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

Edited by Dr. James on 9/17/2009 at 1:13 AM EST