Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

My left eye tears constantly when I go outside & the air hits

My left eye tears constantly when I go outside & the air hits it.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
How long has this been going on?
Do you tear while inside?
Do sunglasses help?
Are you using any eye drops?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It has been going on for at least a year.

Yes, it tears when I am inside also.

I don't even go outside without sun glasses. At least I get some type of protection from the air

No, I do not use any eye drops.

I did see an ophthalmologist about 2 years ago for treatment of a chilasian (not sure of spelling) on the same eye. She gave me a cream to put on it for a couple of months before it went away.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
The tearing is a reflex to the hypersensitivity of your cornea. This is likely related to a poor tear film not adequately providing protection to your eyes.

I recommend using over the counter artificial tears 4-6 times a day. I also recommend starting on warm compresses of your eyelids. This will help soften the plugged up oil glands of your eyelids. Your chalazion in the past is an indication that your oil glands have been blocked up for some time. By increasing the oil compent of the tear film, it prevents the evaporative effects of the air. After the warm compresses, you can use dilute baby shampoo in warm water, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers. Do this twice a day.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile