Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I have been told jusyt yesterday that I have damaged nerves

I have been told jusyt yesterday that I have damaged nerves which is
leading to my right eye been totally blind
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
How old are you?
Do you have any pain?
What other medical problems do you have?
What other test have been ordered?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am a 66 female, have high blood pressure controlled with medication, diabetic not on any treatment controlled with diet, high colestrol again contained with medication, hip replacment done in 2002 wide spread arthritis in rest of body,
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
A few more questions.

Any eye pain or headache?
Vision loss upon wakening?
What test were ordered?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I always wake with headaches, no eye pain however, some vision loss upon waking, brain scan
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the additional informatin.

You likely suffered from a non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAAION). This believed to be damage to the optic nerve (the nerve that carries the visual signals from your eyes to your brain). It is thought the damage is due to loss of blood to the optic nerve -- mini-stroke. High blood pressure is a risk factor.

There is another form of this ischemic optic neuropathy -- the arteritic kind. It is important to differentiate the two because the arteritic kind and potentially lead to blindness in the other eye as well. This typically has scalp tenderness, jaw pain with eating, weight loss, and general malaise. Lab test for ESR and CRP levels are helpful. This does not appear to be the case with you, but ESR and CRP should be ordered to confirm.

With NAAION, there may be some limited visual recovery in 4-6 weeks, but most often the vision loss is permanent. It is important to controll your blood pressure. One thought is night-time hypotension or low blood pressure may be a risk factor. So, if you take some of your blood pressure medicines before bed, you can ask you general doctor if it would be OK to take it in the morning.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Smile

Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.