Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I had a blepharoplasty and face lift on 31st July 2009. Two

I had a blepharoplasty and face lift on 31st July 2009. Two days after discharged from hospital and given a previously opened out-of-date (June 2009) antibiotic eye ointment. I honestly did not notice the date until 19th August after follow up consultation with surgeon. He was very vague about the cause of the conjuctivitis. On the morning of 19th before follow up attended eye hospital and given anti-inflammatory drops. Informed plastic surgeon that afternoon in follow up that I had had to attend emergency eye hospital and he simply said carry on using drops. On 24th August left UK for Canada but spoke to surgeon on telephone and informed him that I had discovered the out of date eye ointment which I had been using between 1st August-12th August and his opinion was that it should not have happened but I should just continue using anti-inflammatory drops given by eye hospital. It is now almost 6 weeks since blepharosplasty and I am still suffering with sore eyes - no discharge .
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
What was the expiration date of the antibiotic drops?
Is the soreness on the eyelids or eyeball?
When is your next scheduled appointment?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don't have them with me because I am abroad from UK in Canada currently. Certainly it was early June 2009. Maybe 2nd or 6th June expiry. The tube was already opened and the discharging nurse apologised saying that was all that was to hand on the ward and did not mention that they were so out-of-date and stupidly I did not check until after I had been using it for more than twelve days. It may not be a direct cause. Could it be caused by an allergic reaction to the anaesthetic for the operation on 31st July? The anti-inflammatory drops are finished now and I don't have any other remedy until I get back to UK on 16th September. Could the problem be overuse of the anti-inflammatory drops i.e. twice a day for three weeks?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 5 years ago.
Medications are generally still effective even after their expiration date. The medication being opened puts into question the sterility of it. So, if you developed a new infection or worsening of your irritation, then possibly could be attributed to that.

From what you have said, your presistent soreness is unlikely related to the expired medication. It is likely a slow healing from the blepharoplasty. I recommend you continue the eye lubricant and cool compresses to help with any swelling. If you develop significant swelling, discharge, decreased vision, then you can see a provider in Canada for re-evaluation.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you.

--------------------------
Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon