Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I had cataract surgery 4 months ago. Everything went wrong.

Customer Question

I had cataract surgery 4 months ago. Everything went wrong. My macula has some scrr tissue. It became inflamed. My lense got foggy. I had lazer treatment on if. It didn't work and it shifted my lense. Then I had a steroid shot in my eye. The inflmatino has gone down. That was 2 weeks ago . The doctors are now waiting to see if the inflameation will staye down. In the past 4 months I have been putting Prednisolon 4 times a day and Nevanac 3 times a day. I can see no improvement in my sight. It's foggy, has large floater and a lot of small black dots. I need some more advice on what to do. Please help or ask someone that knows about my problem. Thank you
              Elmer Letterman
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
What is the current vision in that eye?
What does your cataract surgeon think about the macula scar tissue -- meaning does it need surgery?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
left eye 20/100. The doctor said that might remove the scar tissue, and replase the lense at the same time.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
What you are describing is CME (cystoid macula edema). It is a known complication of cataract surgery, about 4% of patients will develop complications from it. About 20-30% have been shown to have CME, but mild enough to not affect vision.

Early treatment is with NSAID and steroid eye drops, usually 4 times a day. If the inflammation is still there about about 1-2 months, then steroid injections inside the eye (intravitreal) or in the surrounding area of the eyeball (posterior subtenons). In some patients, scar tissue on the macula (ERM or epiretinal membrane) may be contributing to the swelling and surgery to remove that scar tissue may be an option.

It sounds like you are receiving the appropriate care, unforuntately for a complication of surgery that could not have been foreseen.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you.

Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.