Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

What is the rate of recurrence of a detached retina in the

What is the rate of recurrence of a detached retina in the same eye? What is the incidence and possibility of repair of the second occasion of detached retina?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
What was the reason for your detached retina?
Are you very near sighted?
Diabetes?
Have you had a second detachment already?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This was a spontaneous detached retina. He does not have Diabetes. He was near sighted and had RC for that years back. Yes, he has a second detachment as of last night and is scheduled for surgery in Omaha, NE for that on Friday. He is in surgery now for the cataract on that eye which has showed up since the last surgery. The eye surgeon says the scar tissue is causing another detachment. (I'm an OB NP so this is out of my field and am concerned about his prognosis.)
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Retinal detachment redetachment rates has many factors - including cause, age, and presence of scar tissue (PVR or proliferative vitreoretinopathy). The average rate of retinal detachment is 7% 6 months after surgery. The redetachment of a second retinal surgery is higher than 7% because this patient population group already has factors that lead to a primary failure.

Treatment is still indicated and recommended. Additional procedures that may be done is scleral buckling (if not done the first time), injection of a longer acting gas (such as C3F8), use of silicone oil (which needs surgery to remove at a later time), additional lasery/cryo therapy.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/122353125/abstract

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to your brother.

--------------------------
Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What is the prognosis for complete or near complete recovery from the second surgery? Our family has a long life expectancy so this is important to his life.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Was his macula involved in the detachment?
What was his vision before the first surgery and what was his best vision before the redetachment?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Since he is a lay person I don't know the answer to those questions. I know his sight was good enough to pass the DOT physical so it is important that he be able to do that again. I don't know if the macula was involved but suspect it was from some comments he relates from the surgeon. I am just interested in whether there is a possibility of his returning to near the same vision as he had before the first surgery.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
The macula is the part of the retina that is important for detailed vision - (ie reading vision). If the retinal detachment was caught early enough and only the periphal retinal was involved, then he has the potential to retain the vision he had prior to the operation.

If the macula was detached as well, then visual prognosis is guarded. Visual acuities of 20/40 to 20/80 would be a successful. The same though process goes for the second detachment. If the macula is involved, the detailed vision will be affected.

Your brother will know if the macula is involved because the dark shadow (retinal detachement) he saw would have covered his vision.

Please remember to accept if my answer has been helpful. Smile